GD427 MK IV

GD427 MK IV
What my car should look like when finished - Stoneleigh 2015

Saturday, 28 October 2017

Power Steering Column Brace Fitted

I received my power steering column brace back from being hot metal sprayed and so I decided to fit it.  I had pre-fitted it prior to painting and so it was just a case of bolting it in place.


Once fitted, I then mounted the windscreen with the 930mm distance from the top of the screen to the rear bulkhead.  I then measured each side of the screen to the rear door opening to ensure it wasn't twisted.  The mounting bolts were then fully tightened up.  The screen was then removed and stored in a safe place.

I used some black sealant to seal around the windscreen stanchion and I will add some more when I fit the stainless escutcheon to ensure no water runs down into the footwells.

I drilled and tapped M4 threads into the body to hold the escutcheons in place.


I bought a new polishing machine to polish up the brightwork some more.  The provided finish is pretty good, however there are still a few machining marks remaining.  I plan to use some P1200 wet & dry on the edges and then polish to a high sheen.


Bonnet Fitted

I fitted the hinges to the bonnet after I had trimmed down the bronze bush that mounts them to the front of the car.  The bonnet was set on, and required a little bit of wiggling to get the line gaps even.  I had to file out one of the mount holes a little to sort out the twist.

I think I have managed to get the gap pretty good and may be tweaked once I install the handles and rubber.

GD had marked the holes for the handles, so I proceeded to drill these at 20mm with a cone cutter.  I then used my proxxon with a router bit to open out the parts for the handle.  I then bolted the handles in place.





Fuel System - Fuel Tank & Pumps

I received my modified fuel tank back from the welder, so I decided to get the fuel pumps installed.  As I mentioned earlier on my blog, I have gone for an Aeromotive Phantom Stealth twin pump setup.  This was the reason the my standard tank had to be modified.  An Aeromotive install guide can be seen here on Youtube:  here




The tank is now wide enough to accept the foam baffle for the Phantom system.

I lined up the baffle alongside the tank, and marked out where the centre will be before drilling.



I then drilled the hole in the tank to accept the bolting down ring for the pump assembly.


The twin pumps were assembled onto the mount and it was modified to be the correct length to ensure the pump suction was as low as possible.


I dry fitted the pump assembly to ensure that the pump filters touched the bottom of the tank. (Photo taken in through the fuel sender hole)


I then looked at what fittings I require to connect up the hoses for the neatest installation. This layout may change once I start putting the hoses in...  I have bought 2x valves so I can isolate the tank for filter changeout etc.


Once all dry fitted, I installed the foam baffle unit with rubber bladder, ready to bolt in place.  I am going to use some fuel proof sealant to seal around the bolt threads before finally installing.  I bought a 310mm VDO dip tube for fuel level, since a normal float sender would foul in the baffle.  I lifted the tank into the boot, and so now just need the straps made to hold the tank in place.  I will take the tank out again to finish off mounting the boot lid catch.


Saturday, 2 September 2017

Lambda Sensors

After reading up on the Innovate Lambda sensors Wideband Controller, I decided to add some length to the exhaust bung to make it the 1" as instructed.

As supplied by GD, the bungs were approx 10mm deep.  I found some stainless steel ones on eBay that were 21mm long.  I put them in the lathe and turned them down to 15mm to give me the overall required 25mm length.  A friend then TIG welded them onto the top of the existing bung.

I had to remove the exhaust to be able to do this, and once welded, the exhaust was replaced.




Wiring - Continued

Since trial fitting the cross brace, and running the wires for the power steering, I managed to position the rear wiring loom and fix it into place.

I also had to run both fuel pump wires along side which makes it a little bulkier.  I fixed the loom up under the passenger footwell using a P-Clip and then proceeded to duct tape the rest of the cable in place as it runs to the boot area.  This now enables me to wire the rear lights and properly dress in the wires.




I also wired in some of my additional wires into a new 9 way round plug, and I had to colour code them to ensure they don't get mixed up.


Bodywork

I found some time in the garage so I managed to fix the boot handle and number plate light onto the boot lid.  This involved measuring lots of times and lining the parts up prior to drilling.  GD had already pre-installed a wire in between the boot lid skins and I managed to cut a hole behind the number plate light to enable fishing out the wire.  I will fabricate a bracket to hold the number plate later.


I also drilled out the hole to accept the Aston Martin style fuel filler.  I will properly fit it in the coming months.


Footwell Extensions - Update

If you can recall I cut out a section for my right foot: here

After trying the accelerator pedal in it's motions, I decided to reinforce the footwell extension that I created which removed the inner skin.  I used some carbon fibre matting with resin to create a strong patch.

I cut the matting to shape, and then had to find bits of wood for props and also make a clamp frame to evenly spread the pressure.  This looks like a true "Crofter" style of set-up, but it did the job perfectly.

I applied just resin around the area first and let that set.  I then applied resin to the matting, both sides, before putting it in place with my clamp system.  The blue plastic was used to cover the clamps so that they didn't stick to the resin.

I think all in all a good job!