GD427 MK IV

GD427 MK IV
What my car should look like when finished - Stoneleigh 2015

Tuesday 8 November 2016

Sensored!

I decided to over complicate my Oil Pressure & Oil / Water Temperature sensors for the gauges.  I thought it would be a good idea to have the possibility of having the measurements input to a data logger of some kind.  I opted to buy sensors from GM that have dual circuitry.

They have 3 pins.  One pin is for the gauge, and the other two pins are for a 5V signal into an ECU / Data Logger.  I thought that this would future proof my install in case I wanted to add the data logging function.

After surfing the net for a while, I discovered that the correct part numbers were:

Oil / Water Temperature Sensor (3-Wire):  GM#  12551708
Oil Pressure (3-Wire):  GM#  12616646

These have the correct threads / sealing washer to be able to screw straight into the LS engine without any adapters.

I found out (I haven't verified this myself) that these sensors are of US 280F range, so I'm assuming a gauge won't be an issue.........

Also, I bought the 3-pin connectors from Simtek UK (CON-323):  Direct Link

I need to put some extra wiring into the loom to accommodate the sensors, and I will post when that is done.

I had to drill and tap the housing above the oil filter since this was blanked off.  This was done by removing it from the engine, drilling and tapping it to M12 x 1.5mm (Not a standard M12 thread).  This was fully cleaned from debris before bolting back together.

I hope they work.......





No comments:

Post a Comment